Novak Djokovic was in near-pefect form as he crushed Kei Nishikori in the men’s quarter-finals at the Australian Open.
Djokovic raced through the opening sets looking utterly
untouchable, and hugely improved from the player who was taken to five
sets by Gilles Simon in the fourth round.
Nishikori, however, found something at the start of the third
set and broke the world number one - then, while leading 3-1, very
nearly claimed a second break.
Djokovic saved himself from deuce, however, won the next three
games in a row as well, and then served out for a 6-3 6-2 6-4 victory.
It gave the Serb a place in the semi-finals, and also a measure of
revenge for the defeat inflicted by Nishikori at the 2014 US Open.
"I just needed to weather the storm and wait for my opportunities," said Djokovic of his blip in the third set.
Djkovic added that after his poor fourth round showing, he took a day off entirely on Monday, not even practising.
"Sometimes less is more," he explained. "It's like hitting the reset button...
"And after four and a half hours [against Simon] I think I had enough match practice."
Novak Djokovic v Kei Nishikori: As it happened
Of Federer, Djokovic said, "It's always a great challenge.
"His achievements, what he's done in this sport... he's something I have great respect for."


0 comments:
Post a Comment