Novak Djokovic had to thwart a spirited fightback from Roger Federer on his way to another final of the Australian Open in Melbourne with a 6-1 6-2 3-6 6-3 success.
The world number one and defending champion threatened to blow
Federer away with some miraculous play in the opening two sets of the
semi-final in an hour.
Djokovic's play was so sharp and cutting it had to be seen to be
believed even if it was perhaps helped along by the 17-times Grand Slam
winner's reluctance to come to net.
Federer looked in a state of shock in falling so badly behind so
early on, but somehow rallied in the third set to force the match to a
fourth before Djokovic pounced on his first break point opportunity at
30-40 on the Federer serve for a 5-3 lead.
A crushing return landed at his opponent's feet as the Serbian
player punched the air realising the match was finally in his hands.
A love service game in the ninth game of the fourth helped
Djokovic into the final of a tournament he has already won five times.
He moves 23-22 clear of Federer in head-to-head meetings following wins
over his great rival in the Wimbledon and US Open finals last season.
"I had a two-set lead which was comforting, but it was a battle in the end.
"I had a really tough (five-set) match against (Gilles) Simon which went to five sets. It made me think how I could get better. I always tend to have five-set matches in the Grand Slams."
He added: "Roger and Rafa (Nadal) have contributed a lot to my success. They have made me a better player. Right now I feel I am in the peak of my career."

0 comments:
Post a Comment